During the summer months, dogs love to run around with their noses to the ground, but in doing so, they are at risk
of disturbing insects such as bees and wasps, or even the odd snake, which could react by biting or stinging.Most stings will be on a dog’s paw; you may hear him yelp and then chew at his foot because it is itchy or causing him discomfort. Luckily, a sting will not usually result in a medical emergency, but if a dog has an allergic reaction, or gets stung in his mouth or a more sensitive area, he could require immediate veterinary attention.Wasps do not typically leave their stings behind, but if a bee has stung your dog, you will probably be able to see the sting and carefully remove it with tweezers.
Never try to squeeze the sting out, as this could inject more venom into the area, causing greater discomfort. After removing the sting, rinse the affected area with bottled water and monitor your dog carefully. If he seems to develop breathing difficulties, telephone your vet immediately and arrange for an emergency appointment, as he may require treatment with antihistamines.
The adder is the UK’s only venomous snake, and hot weather can make them more likely to emerge from their preferred habitats of sand dunes, heathland, rocky hillsides, moorland, and woodland edges. They are timid creatures and only bite if provoked. Research shows that 70 per cent of bites occur between April and July, usually in the afternoon,when they are most active. Take your dog straight to the vet if he is stung on or in the mouth.
Adders will only bite if provoked.Snake bites can be extremely dangerous, particularly if the dog is bitten on the face. Symptoms include swelling, lameness, bruising,and/or bleeding. While most dogs make a full recovery, anti-venom treatmentand/or IV fluids and pain relief may be required, so seek veterinary help.
To reduce the spread of venom, carry your dog rather than allowing him to walk, and keep him quiet and calm.